Cetuximab in Metastatic Squamous Cell Cancer of the Skin: A Swiss Case Series Journal Articles uri icon

  • Overview
  • Research
  • Identity
  • Additional Document Info
  • View All


  • <b><i>Background:</i></b> There is current evidence that non-melanoma skin cancers can be successfully treated with cetuximab. <b><i>Objective:</i></b> To evaluate the use and efficacy of cetuximab (with or without radiotherapy) in a series of previously treated patients with metastatic squamous cell cancer of the skin (SCCS) in Switzerland. <b><i>Methods:</i></b> We performed a retrospective analysis of six patients from four centers. Endpoints were disease control rates (DCRs) at 4-8 weeks, 12-14 weeks and 20-36 weeks of treatment. Treatment-related toxicity was evaluated additionally. <b><i>Results:</i></b> A median of 14 cycles of cetuximab were applied. DCR was 67% at 4-8 weeks, 50% at 12-14 weeks and 33% at 20-36 weeks. In 4-8 weeks responders, mean relapse-free time was 12 ± 6.2 months and mean overall survival was 25 ± 16.2 months. Grade I-III acne-like rash developed around week 3 of treatment in 83%. <b><i>Conclusions:</i></b> Cetuximab treatment in patients with metastatic SCCS achieved an overall DCR of 67% at 4-8 weeks of treatment. This study underlines the current evidence that SCCS can be successfully treated with cetuximab.


  • Conen, Katrin
  • Fischer, Natalie
  • Hofbauer, Günther FL
  • Shafaeddin-Schreve, Bahar
  • Winterhalder, Ralph
  • Rochlitz, Christoph
  • Zippelius, Alfred

publication date

  • 2014

has subject area