A fatal case of Staphylococcus aureus: Associated toxic shock syndrome following nipple piercing Academic Article uri icon

  •  
  • Overview
  •  
  • Research
  •  
  • Identity
  •  
  • Additional Document Info
  •  
  • View All
  •  

abstract

  • We describe a case of a healthy adolescent with a fatal toxic shock syndrome due to Staphylococcus aureus. This infection developed 2 weeks after the patient underwent a nipple piercing by a friend. This case should serve as a strong reminder of the potentially fatal consequences of piercing that is becoming increasingly popular worldwide.

publication date

  • January 2007