An Unusual Case of Strychnine Poisoning
- Additional Document Info
- View All
Strychnine-related death has been described since the 19th century. This alkaloid was discovered in 1818. Historically, strychnine was used by the South-East Asian autochthones on their arrows. However, its production was modified by legislation, which was used to protect people against accidental intoxications. Here, we present the case of a 69-year-old man who was found dead at home. During the autopsy, we found a blue substance in the stomach. Toxicological analysis measured strychnine at 0.29 μg/mL in the blood sample, which is a relatively low level in comparison with the results given in the literature. However, histologic examination and toxicological findings permitted the conclusion of strychnine poisoning.
has subject area