Assessment of the current Canadian rhinology workforce Academic Article uri icon

  • Overview
  • Research
  • Identity
  • Additional Document Info
  • View All


  • BACKGROUND: The Canadian Rhinologic workforce and future needs are not well defined. The objective of this study was to define the current demographics and practice patterns of the Canadian Rhinologic workforce. Outcomes from this study can be used to perform rhinologic workforce needs assessments. METHODS: A national survey was administered to all Canadian otolaryngologists who were identified to have a clinical practice composed of >50% rhinology. RESULTS: 42 surgeons participated in the survey (65% response rate). The mean age was 46 (SD 10.1) years and the average age of planned retirement was 66 (SD 4.0). Eighty three percent of respondents had completed a rhinology fellowship and 17% practiced exclusively rhinology. Thirty three percent hold advanced degrees. Forty two percent of surgeons felt their access to operative time was insufficient. Six percent of surgeons reported not having access to image guided surgery. Fourteen percent felt that there were too many practicing rhinologists in Canada while 17% believed there were too few practicing rhinologists. Seventeen percent have advised their residents to pursue other fields due to a perceived lack of future jobs. Overall, 66% of respondents were satisfied with their income, and 83% were satisfied with their careers. CONCLUSIONS: This study has demonstrated that there is a perceived mismatch between the current supply of Rhinology labor and the capacity to treat patients in a timely manner. Outcomes from this study will begin to improve Rhinologic workforce planning in Canada and reduce the gap between patient demand and access to high quality care.


  • Smith, Kristine A
  • Sommer, Doron
  • Grondin, Sean
  • Rotenberg, Brian
  • Tewfik, Marc A
  • Kilty, Shaun
  • Wright, Erin
  • Janjua, Arif
  • Lee, John
  • Diamond, Chris
  • Rudmik, Luke

publication date

  • December 2015