selected scholarly activity
- “Fake Gays” In Queer Africa. GLQ. 26:477-502. 2020
- The Invention of ‘Harmful Cultural Practices’ in the Era of AIDS in Malawi. Journal of Southern African Studies. 46:339-356. 2020
- Community engagement in an economy of harms: reflections from an LGBTI-rights NGO in Malawi. Critical Public Health. 28:340-351. 2018
- Ethical Gifts?: An Analysis of Soap-for-data Transactions in Malawian Survey Research Worlds. Medical Anthropology Quarterly Medical anthropology newsletter. 31:365-384. 2017
- Studying up in critical NGO studies today: reflections on critique and the distribution of interpretive labour. Critical African Studies. 8:291-305. 2016
- ‘Aid for gays’: the moral and the material in ‘African homophobia’ in post-2009 Malawi. Journal of Modern African Studies. 52:447-473. 2014
- Seeing Like a Research Project: Producing “High-Quality Data” in AIDS Research in Malawi. Medical Anthropology: Cross Cultural Studies in Health and Illness. 31:347-366. 2012
- How Older Adults Combine Medical and Experiential Notions of Depression. Qualitative Health Research. 18:1174-1183. 2008
- ‘Subjects, Participants, Collaborators’. International Feminist Journal of Politics. 10:236-246. 2008
- Introduction. Medicine Anthropology Theory. 6.
- Soap. Medicine Anthropology Theory. 6.
- The MSM category as bureaucratic technology. Medicine Anthropology Theory. 6.
- The challenges of doing gender research in developing countries. Journal of Comparative Social Work. 4:56-70.
- Book Forum: Cooking Data, Medicine in the Meantime, and Edges of Exposure 2019
- Review Essay: The Politics of Global Health. Political and Legal Anthropology Review. 2019
- “Gay for Pay” in an Economy of Harms. Anthropology News. e238-e242. 2017
- Ebola and emergency anthropology: The view from the “global health slot” 2014
- Neoliberal Frontiers: An Ethnography of Sovereignty in West Africa. Interventions: An International Journal of Postcolonial Studies. 2012