selected scholarly activity
- “Fake Gays” In Queer Africa. GLQ. 26:477-502. 2020
- The Invention of ‘Harmful Cultural Practices’ in the Era of AIDS in Malawi. Journal of Southern African Studies. 46:339-356. 2020
- Community engagement in an economy of harms: reflections from an LGBTI-rights NGO in Malawi. Critical Public Health. 28:340-351. 2018
- Ethical Gifts?: An Analysis of Soap-for-data Transactions in Malawian Survey Research Worlds. Medical Anthropology Quarterly Medical anthropology newsletter. 31:365-384. 2017
- Studying up in critical NGO studies today: reflections on critique and the distribution of interpretive labour. Critical African Studies. 8:291-305. 2016
- ‘Aid for gays’: the moral and the material in ‘African homophobia’ in post-2009 Malawi. Journal of Modern African Studies. 52:447-473. 2014
- Seeing Like a Research Project: Producing “High-Quality Data” in AIDS Research in Malawi. Medical Anthropology: Cross Cultural Studies in Health and Illness. 31:347-366. 2012
- How Older Adults Combine Medical and Experiential Notions of Depression. Qualitative Health Research. 18:1174-1183. 2008
- ‘Subjects, Participants, Collaborators’. International Feminist Journal of Politics. 10:236-246. 2008
- Introduction: Objects of critique in critical global health studies. Medicine Anthropology Theory | An open-access journal in the anthropology of health, illness, and medicine. 6:142-150.
- Soap: Touching objects, feeling critique in critical global health studies. Medicine Anthropology Theory | An open-access journal in the anthropology of health, illness, and medicine. 6:151-164.
- The MSM category as bureaucratic technology: Reflections on paperwork and project time in performance-based aid economics. Medicine Anthropology Theory | An open-access journal in the anthropology of health, illness, and medicine. 6:187-214.
- The challenges of doing gender research in developing countries. Journal of Comparative Social Work. 4:56-70.
- Our bodies, our containers: Cultural concepts of the body and health in Covid-19 times 2020
- Book Forum: Cooking Data, Medicine in the Meantime, and Edges of Exposure 2019
- Review Essay: The Politics of Global Health. Political and Legal Anthropology Review. 2019
- “Gay for Pay” in an Economy of Harms. Anthropology News. e238-e242. 2017
- Ebola and emergency anthropology: The view from the “global health slot” 2014
- Community engagement in an economy of harms: reflections from an LGBTI-rights NGO in Malawi 2020
- Just say no to widow inheritance?: Representations and local interpretations of AIDS risk in rural western Kenya 2011
- Hearsay Ethnography: A Method for learning about responses to health interventions in Pescosolido. 431-445. 2011
- Politicizing Sex in Contemporary Africa: Homophobia in Malawi. American Historical Review. 1124-1125. 2020
- The Good Holiday: Development, Tourism and the Politics of Benevolence in Mozambique. Journal of Modern African Studies. 530-531. 2018
- Traces of the Future: An Archaeology of Medical Science in Africa. American Anthropologist. 867-868. 2018
- Para-States and Medical Science: Making African Global Health. The Journal of African History. 339-341. 2017
- Lives of Community Health Workers: Local Labor and Global Health in Urban Ethiopia. Medical Anthropology Quarterly. 2017
- Theorizing NGOs: States, Feminisms, and Neoliberalism. American Ethnologist. 196-197. 2015
- Neoliberal Frontiers: An Ethnography of Sovereignty in West Africa. Interventions: An International Journal of Postcolonial Studies. 2012
- Designs for an Anthropology of the Contemporary. Interventions: An International Journal of Postcolonial Studies. 2011