Synthesisin vitroof full length genomic RNA and assembly of the nucleocapsid of vesicular stomatitis virus in a coupled transcription-translation system Academic Article uri icon

  •  
  • Overview
  •  
  • Research
  •  
  • Identity
  •  
  • Additional Document Info
  •  
  • View All
  •  

abstract

  • Synthesis of a small amount of 42S RNA in addition to the VSV specific mRNA species was observed in a coupled transcription-translation system containing ribonucleoprotein particles from L cell infected with vesicular stomatitis virus and nuclease-treated ribosomal extract obtained from uninfected HeLa cells. Analysis on a CsCl density gradient showed that the synthesized 42S RNA was associated with newly synthesized by protein as a nucleoprotein of bouyant density of 1.3 g/ml. The 42S RNA and the N protein present in the nucleoprotein were resistant to nuclease and protease, respectively. About 35% of the remaining 65% had a complementary polarity. The evidence presented here demonstrates that both the full length genomic and the complementary RNA are associated with N protein in the in vitro replication process. A template role for the complementary 42S RNA for replication of the genomic RNA is also suggested.

publication date

  • 1982