Methaemoglobinaemia following ingestion of a commonly available food additive Academic Article uri icon

  •  
  • Overview
  •  
  • Research
  •  
  • Identity
  •  
  • Additional Document Info
  •  
  • View All
  •  

abstract

  • Five cases of methaemoglobinaemia after ingestion of sodium nitrite occurred in two clusters in Sydney in 2006. All cases were unintentional poisonings following use in cooking of an imported compound sold as a food additive. In all cases, methaemoglobinaemia was recognised early and treated promptly, with all patients making a full recovery. These cases highlight the importance of accurate food labelling and surveillance of imported goods.

authors

  • Maric, Peter
  • Ali, Sayed S
  • Heron, Leon G
  • Rosenfeld, David
  • Greenwood, Matthew

publication date

  • February 2008