Prenatal diagnosis of abnormally invasive placenta reduces maternal peripartum hemorrhage and morbidity Academic Article uri icon

  •  
  • Overview
  •  
  • Research
  •  
  • Identity
  •  
  • Additional Document Info
  •  
  • View All
  •  

abstract

  • OBJECTIVE: Abnormally invasive placenta (AIP) poses diagnostic and therapeutic challenges. We analyzed clinical cases with confirmed placenta increta or percreta. DESIGN: Retrospective case series. SETTING: Multicenter study. POPULATION: Pregnant women with AIP. METHODS: Chart review. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: Prenatal detection rates, treatment choices, morbidity, mortality and short-term outcome. RESULTS: Sixty-six cases were analyzed. All women and all but three fetuses survived; 57/64 women (89%) had previous uterine surgery. In 26 women (39%) the diagnosis was not known before delivery (Group 1), in the remaining 40 (61%) diagnosis had been made between 14 and 37 weeks of gestation (Group 2). Placenta previa was present in 36 women (54%). In Groups 1 and 2, 50% (13/26) and 62% (25/40) of the women required hysterectomy, respectively. In Group 1 (unknown at the time of delivery) 69% (9/13) required (emergency) hysterectomy for severe hemorrhage in the immediate peripartum period compared with only 12% (3/25) in Group 2 (p = 0.0004). Mass transfusions were more frequently required in Group 1 (46%, 12/26 vs. 20%, 8/40; p = 0.025). In 18/40 women (45%) from Group 2 the placenta was intentionally left in situ; secondary hysterectomies and infections were equally frequent (18%) among these differently treated women. Overall, postpartum infections occurred in 11% and 20% of women in Groups 1 and 2, respectively. CONCLUSIONS: AIP was known before delivery in more than half of the cases. Unknown AIP led to significantly more emergency hysterectomies and mass transfusions during or immediately after delivery. Prenatal diagnosis of AIP reduces morbidity. Future studies should also address the selection criteria for cases appropriate for leaving the placenta in situ.

authors

  • Sloboda, Deborah
  • Chantraine, Frédéric
  • Braun, Thorsten
  • Gonser, Markus
  • Henrich, Wolfgang
  • Tutschek, Boris

publication date

  • April 2013

has subject area